Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Note to self

Recently I've come to the realization that age, like most things in life, is subjective.

When you're 10, 19 sounds old. Not old old like your great-grandparents, but still at least half a million years away. Those nine years sound like a life-time, then next thing you know you're 40, & those 19-year-olds look like babys to you.

I've been thinking about age a lot this week. Mostly because no one in Douglas believes that I'm 18.

When I started working at B & N (only 16 years old at the time) people would some times ask how old I was. Usually guys in their late 20s or 30s, usually when I was working by myself. Instead of telling them right away, I'd make them guess first, it was kind of a game, & I kept a tally of the answers in my head. The average guess was around 18-20, legal, but certainly not old enough to drink. (Little did they know, 17 is actually the legal age of consent in Illinois. Please do not ask how I know this.) These guys were always a little flirtatious, so I quickly chalked it up to wishful-thinking, after-all, I'd played this same game with high-school boys & they always thought I was 14. (Which I found extremely insulting at the mature, enlightened age of 16.)

But now it's the complete opposite. I don't know if it's because of where I am, or the fact that I'm one of the three white teen aged girls in Douglas, or if my face has suddenly de-aged almost two years, but no one believes that I'm going to be 19 in three short months. Maybe it's because I'm not pushing a stroller or sporting a baby-bulge. Just from looking around the grocery store I'd guess that half the female population under the age of 18 either has a kid, or is going to with in the next few months.

That was actually one of the first things I was told when I got to Douglas, teen aged pregnancies are pretty much normal here. It's like an epidemic...

No comments: